Athletic Updates 2023-24
Hello WHS parents and athletes!
With summer upon us, I just wanted to let you know about some of our sports that will be holding workouts over the summer. As a reminder, all athletic activity is highly recommended but not mandatory. Additionally, I wanted to provide information in relation to sports and hopefully answer any questions you may have.
- Attached is a rough schedule for the teams that are holding summer sessions, but please make sure to reach out to the coach of the sport your athlete is interested in. From there the coach will be able to provide more details about summer plans and oftentimes add you to the communication chain so you get the most up to date information.
- If other teams decide to hold any summer sessions, we will send information out on our instagram page so please follow us @westmonthsathletics.
- Athletes DO NOT have to have all of their clearance items completed to participate in summer workouts or open gyms/fields.
Additional Summer Reminders
- Dead Period - 1 week for all sports with no contact between coaches & athletes.
- July 24 - July 30
- Limited Dead Period for all sports - no sport specific drills or coaching. Essentially only conditioning is allowed.
- July 31 - August 3
- First Official Day of Fall Practice - ALL ATHLETES MUST BE FULLY CLEARED!
- August 4th
- Our athletic pages have been updated so athletes can submit their clearance items for the 2023-2024 school year.
- To view our clearance page, please click this LINK.
- The Kyle J. Taylor Foundation will be coming to offer our district required heart screenings to all freshman and junior fall athletes on July 31st in the cafeteria starting at 1:00 PM. Please sign up for a designated time if you would like to get your heart screening done by the foundation. Athletes are also able to complete this requirement through their general physician.
- For more information and to sign-up, please click this LINK.
- Dr. Shahab will be on campus offering athletic physicals to all fall athletes in need of one on Tuesday, August 1st at 4:30 PM. Location is TBA, but I will make sure to announce more information once we get closer. Reminder that it is a first come first serve basis. Athletes simply need to bring $25 and a copy of the physical form that can be found on our athletic pages or by clicking this LINK.
Attachments / Links
Heart Screening Information
Why this change?
Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA) is the #1 killer of student athletes in the U.S., the #1 cause of death on school campuses, and the #2 cause of medical death among youth under age 25. Electrocardiogram (ECG) heart screenings are the most effective tool to identify youth at risk for SCA. Given that 75% of fatalities for student athletes during sports are cardiovascular related, ECG screenings for student athletes can be a valuable component of the clearance process for athletic activity. There are at least seven recent CUHSD alumni who have been affected by SCA, six of whom lost their lives to this condition. All of them had their usual pre-athletics physical screening and underlying conditions were missed. The seventh knew about SCA and asked his doctor for a screening; this led to identification of an underlying condition and proper treatment.
What do 9th and 11th grade athletes need to do?
Athletes in grades 9 and 11 during 2023-24 will need to get a heart screening, either as part of or in addition to their athletic physical, prior to participation in sports.
- If their outside doctor completing their physical provides this screening, that meets the requirement.
- If their outside doctor completing their physical does not provide this screening, they can complete the requirement by getting the screening done at Westmont hosted by the Foundation ($10).
- If they get the physical done at Westmont, they can also get their screening done at Westmont hosted by the Foundation ($10).
Our physical form on our website within the "How to Participate" section now includes the required heart screening (ECG Screening). You may also include the screening documentation as an additional attachment within Home Campus or Athletic Clearance. Click HERE to go to the NEW English & Spanish physical form that includes the heart screening requirement for 9th and 11th graders.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: What about 10th and 12th grade students?
A: These students are not required to get a heart screening at this time, but they are welcomed to participate in the on campus heart screening events if the Foundation can handle the additional numbers.
Q: What if a 9th/11th grade athlete already got their physical and didn't get a heart screening?
A: The athlete can either return to their doctor's office or the provider to request a heart screening and an updated form, or they can get their heart screening done at Westmont for $10.
Q: What if a 9th/11th grade athlete is unable to attend the heart screening at Westmont? Will there be a makeup date?
A: While we are working with the Kyle J Taylor foundation to see if we can get an additional date or two on the calendar, it is highly recommended that you either try to schedule an appointment with your physician or attend a screening taking place at our other district sites. To see the dates and times of the other sites, click HERE.
Social Science Teacher
Westmont High School